Thursday, June 26, 2003

CONTENTS OF THE WORK FRIDGE

Four different troughs of rank-looking salad, age and owner unknown

One banana, dark brown (WHAT KIND OF AN IDIOT KEEPS BANANAS IN THE FRIDGE, ANYWAY?!)

My lonely bagel (cheddar, spinach and watercress, on a cinnamon raisin bagel. Yes, I know you’re making a face, but try it), shoved to the back by one of the aggressive salads

Small cup of single cream. Eugh.

Yoghurts breeding yoghurts breeding yet more yoghurts

Half-drunk smoothies. It’s not like they’re even that fucking big. Is there really any point in leaving two inches in the bottle?

“There’s a lot been said about dot gain”

Blah. Back at work after a two day course/corporate schmooze at a printers’ in Somerset. They seemed to be touting for business, as they showed us the newest CTP (computer to plate) technology and got us drunk, and I felt a little bit guilty eating the free dinner and sleeping in the lovely country inn when in fact I don’t buy print at all for my company, and being in editorial it’s not something I have any input on… But what the hey, it was free and there was food. I was smart and kept my mouth shut.

Somerset was beautiful, though. I got the train to Bath, a hilly, greystone town with parkland, a river, teashops and enough Olde English charm to keep me happy for the half hour I had there. I did notice something disturbing, though. I haven’t been in a car for a long time (I live in London! No one drives!), and I haven’t been in a car in the countryside for even longer, but there seemed to be a hell of a lot of roadkill. Every mile or so, some poor rabbit, bird or fox who didn’t follow the green cross code (did that work?!) would be splattered across the median strip.

No comments: